Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day Trip! Chambord, Blois and Wine!

Today we went on an excursion! Just like school there was a big bus, a head count and accompanying teachers. But there were also castles. 

First up was Chambord. 


I have a dislike of Chambord. I find it overall too showy and pretentious, and I am not a fan of the fact that this castle is built like a Medieval fortress and then decorated like a Christmas tree. It makes me wish I had a trebuchet!

It was built by Francois I, off plans and drawings made by Leonardo Da Vinci. After the vast expense of building this Chateau, Francois only spent 72 days here. The main reason he built it, as the audio guide kept telling me, was to show off to his friends and the other kings of Europe.

However, you cannot deny it's magnificence.


Exterior view of the Royal Apartments.


Some foxes!


The ever present Salamander. Francois I took the Salamander as his symbol and promptly stuck it EVERYWHERE. Like actually, everywhere. 


This is the grand staircase. Now this actually is cool. No photo can convey its awesome, but the stairway is a double helix, two interlaced spirals twining up into the tower shown in the picture below. 




The next port of call was Blois. Which was much more my sort of castle. Blois is one of the five medieval chateau of the Loire. I have now seen four! Winning!

However, it has had bits and pieces added to it over the course of the centuries and now presents a pretty astounding melange of Gothic, flamboyant, Renaissance and Classical architecture!


 

The coolest parts however were on the inside.



Queen's Bedroom...


Oratory....


Random piece of wall showing the awesomeness of the paintings on the walls!!!!


This is the Hall of the Three Estates built in 1241. It is called the Hall of the Three Estates because this is where the Estates General met the two times they were summoned by Henri III in 1576 and 1588. The Estates General, if I know my history correctly, were the closest thing under the French Monarchy to a Parliament. The Three Estates were the church, the nobility and commoners. For those who are interested, the free and independent media was dubbed the Fourth Estate, although slightly more recently!!!

And finally here are some happy snaps of the vineyard where we tasted some wine and cheese!
 




Until next time!


1 comment:

Robyn said...

Hey I missed this post! Chambers still not on your list of favourite places I see!!!