Monday, June 11, 2012

Sara in the Louvre

Good morning everyone!

It's my second day in Paris. The hotel which we are staying at has a shower which is more temperamental than I am in the morning, which is quite an achievement for an animate object, let alone an inanimate one!

This bath, from the Louvre I feel would have been a better choice for the Hotel Alane to install in view of my pending arrival.... although, I fear it might be larger than the whole bathroom (and maybe the whole room!)


In my first two days in Paris, I have mostly been looking at the pretty Paris apartments, with their pretty windowboxes full of flowers and all the pretty (and not so pretty) people in Paris.

Dad and I did a whirlwind tour of the Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower and Latin Quarter. I bought the entire works of Foucault....in two volumes....in French!

But the reason I started this today was because yesterday I finally found something that I felt was worth putting up online.... Sara's adventures at the Louvre.

Despite having to wade through the crowds, the Louvre is just about the most amazing place in the world...and I do feel confident in saying that despite having not seen particularly much of the world. I'll withhold judgement until I see Jerusalem, Florence and Venice....but, until then the Louvre is the most amazing place in the world.


For example, ladies and gentlemen, this is not a priceless artwork in the Louvre's collection.... This is the ceiling that hangs above the priceless artworks!!!! Apols for the terrible lighting.


Here is a picture of the Sabine women stopping the conflict between the Sabines and the Romans. For those who don't know the story, the Romans invited the Sabines to a feast....then stole all their women and kicked the men out of the city. Romulus you sly dog!!!

Anyways, the Sabines came back for their women, in a bit of a rage, and also, if you believe this artist, naked! War broke out, but the Sabine women could not bear to see their fathers and brothers fighting the Romans they had come to love and so stopped the conflict....and also by the looks of it, got their tops off.

  

While we're on a Roman theme, here's everyone's favourite Roman, Augustus. The adopted son of Julius Caesar, Augustus was the one who brought peace (or dictatorship, which ever way you look at it) after the collapse of the Republican system.


And this is Agrippa, who basically fought all his battles. 


This one made me gasp out loud! Like a lame fan girl. Anyways, this is Liberty Leading the People. But as you can see I have cut most of the people out because the lighting in the place makes it difficult to get shots of the whole painting. To give some context she is leading brigands with pistols over a pile of corpses. Win. 



 
Here is a statue entitled Jesus: Dead. It's from the High Middle Ages or Early Modern Period. I am a bad person for not looking when, from memory 15th/16th Century...?

Anyway - the reason I photographed it was because of how gruesome it was, note Jesus' stab wound, bloodied knees and rotting feet! Eek. 


And here is some pretty ladies having a smoke....


Finally here is a quick picture from the Sorbonne bookstore (Librarie Jean Vrin for those who are interested) where I bought my epic Foucault collection. The whole bookshop was devoted to philosophy/social theory and there were pretty French people all looking educated and philosophical drifting around. 

 
If you can't see it clearly yes...this is the used book section with Foucault sitting next to Freud. PURRRRRRR!!!!!

Anyways, Au Revoir!




3 comments:

Hannah said...

Hey great pics! They really let you take photos in the Louvre? Do they have modern paintings too?

Robyn said...

Well I HAVE been to Rome, Florence and New York and the Louvre still rates up there as one of the best places I have been to. I think the fact that there is SOOOOOO much there and unlike the Museums in the US most... well maybe some is not spoils of war...hmmm maybe I should re state that maybe lots of it hasn't actually been taken out of the original continent....and as you say the building it is i is a glorious vision in itself!

Sara Howson said...

Hi Hannah, most of the modern stuff is elsewhere the Lourves specialties are historical stuff...There are lots of other museums in France though. I know the Musee d'Orsay has all the French Impressionists there....