Sunday, June 17, 2012

Orleans

Greetings again!

I am in Orleans and am in the home of my host family where I'll be staying for a month. The family are lovely, and I am capable of making myself understood in French, albiet through amusing statements like: "Can I please use the machine, in which, one washes the clothes?"

French people really eat French food, even in their homes. For dinner last night we had tomatos and cheese on pastry and then tarte aux pommes. For lunch today, which is a bigger meal than dinner, we had fish, with tomatos and mozarella for entree. And for dinner tonight we had a delicious concoction called "frites" which is basically cheese, flour and eggs - deep fried! Every meal is at least two courses, even if desert is only yogurt or fruit. All the fruit here is amazing, except the apples, which are large and yellow...and powdery!

Here are some happy snaps of things I have found in Orleans so far!



This is the Cathedral, which is huge, as you might be able to tell from the picture. 




This is the former city wall, the bottom part was built in the 4th century, the upper part in the Carolingian period. 

Yesterday I visited the Orleans Museum of Art. There were some interexting pieces, including the one below of Joan of Arc. However, I am not sure if I was in a mood for appreciating art, and kept noticing silly things, some of which I have recorded for you. 



This is Loth being seduced by his daughters, its an Old Testament story. Notice the amusing look on the blonde one's face!


This is a small part of a painting, but the likeness between the expression of horse and rider distracted me from everything else!


Once again, this is a very small part of a painting, but.... What is actually going on? Is this guy actually wearing a flamboyant purple outfit thought which we can see his navel, poking his tongue out, brandishing a flaming helm and sword?


The lord and lady are doing their best to look dignified, whilst their horse does his best not to. 


Classic, ugly Renaissance baby.




Sorry about the light, just an amusing family shot. Can you imagine what these people would have been like in real life? 

No comments: